Service With A Smile

Hang on a minute, how could it be Wednesday already? Where did Tuesday go to? Thanks everyone for your very kind support, it’s much appreciated. I’m happy to report that all went smoothly at the hospital yesterday and I got home to the comfort of my own bed last night.

My experience at the hand’s of the public health service, was second to none. The service was friendly yet efficient, I was accommodated in a smartly refurbished day unit and my surgery took place in a state-of-the-art operating suite. It was like being in a private hospital, only better. I had the security of knowing that I was in the best possible place should complications arise. It just goes to show that given the right facilities, our public hospitals can and do, shine.

I checked into the day unit as instructed and was surprised but very happy to be shown into a single en-suite room. Surprised because the majority of the rest of this large hospital has long passed it’s sell-by date (as I know to my cost), and happy because the room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. It was then that the penny dropped. My legacy of MRSA infection lives on. Right on cue, a nurse appeared in the room to take further swabs for analysis. Hospital policy rules OK! On this occasion, it worked in my favour as I got the benefit of being nursed in isolation post-operatively away from other potential sources of infection.

Having changed into the regulation theatre gown and been examined by a house doctor, I was whisked off for an ECG. I’d barely got back to my room when the call came from the operating theatre to say my number was up.  Two and a half hours later, I was wheeled back into the peace and quiet of my little room to sleep off the effects of the anaesthetic. The surgeon popped in to say that all had gone well, a small area of infected bone was removed and the exposed bone was treated with steroids and IV antibiotics. I will return in two week’s time for the verdict. I left the hospital last night happy in the knowledge I’d escaped lightly… well, compared to Mrs Connor anyhow.

With thanks to Adam Kay of the Amateur Transplants.

9 Responses to Service With A Smile

  1. Bendy Girl says:

    Good news! Hope you’re feeling back to your normal self very soon. Love BG Xx

  2. Grannymar says:

    Great to know it went well for you and nice to chat to you this am.

  3. Annb says:

    That’s such a relief, I’m delighted it went so well and that you got the service you deserved. There has to be a silver lining to the cloud of MRSA – boy wonder’s got some lovely single en suites in his day!! Well done on your ever amazing grace under fire!

  4. Baino says:

    Great news and nice to know that MRSA has some useful side to it well that and private health care! Costs a bomb but I wouldn’t be without it.

  5. Lily says:

    Love your good humoured post on your day in hospital. Great clip!

    Glad that you were back home last night.

    Hope your Christmas present – good news is delivered in two weeks time when you return to the hospital

  6. achelois says:

    On opening my reader I could not have been more pleased to see that you are ‘home’. Kind thoughts & much double crossed bendy fingers for good news on your return to hospital for results. In the meantime, take good care of yourself.

  7. Steph says:

    Bendy – My problems are nothing compared to what you face on a daily basis yet I seem to get all the attention from landing up in hospital so often. How you remain so sympathetic and caring to me (and others), is a mystery to me.

    Grannymar – I hope you got my ‘status’ message last night to let you know I was safely home. It took me a while to work out how to turn the computer on but I got there in the end!

    Ann – Thanks! I hit lucky yesterday. I’m used to having to fight my way through A&E to get a bed in this hospital and usually end up in an overcrowded, outdated ward. This was my first time going through the new day unit for elective surgery and the whole experience made for a very nice change.

    I tested clear of MRSA just two weeks ago and it’s been 3 years since the last recurrence but I’m still tarnished with the label every time I end up in hospital. I did okay out of it yesterday but most of the time, it feels more like a curse.

    Baino – The care and comfortable conditions I experienced yesterday would have been the same even if I’d no health insurance. That was the joy of it as it proves that our public hospitals can deliver the goods when given the chance. While the care at this hospital has always been excellent, the conditions are far from ideal. I was lucky enough to be processed solely through the newly refurbished areas of the hospital yesterday and the difference was staggering. Our public health service should be like this everywhere not just in tiny little pockets!

    Lily – This post reflects how I feel today. My luck was in yesterday and I feel like shouting from the rooftops about how well the hospital system worked on this occasion. I’ve had so many grim experiences over the years, it’s a pleasure to be able report a good news story.

    achelois – Aaah! You’re very kind.

    I had a classic EDS episode yesterday. Despite being totally relaxed and comfortable in my nice quiet room, my blood pressure went sky high and my racing heart had the nurses very worried for a while. I’m well-used to this happening but the nurses were not. It takes a lot more than that to worry an EDS’er!

  8. Geri Atric says:

    Great news to hear you are back home safely and the infection under control! Take care.

  9. Steph says:

    Geri – Thanks pal. I’m doing well!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: